Sunday, May 3, 2009

Personal?

Style is a funny thing. For something that's supposed to be an extension of your personality, who you are and how you want the world to see you, there are so many teenage girls with their jeans tucked into UGG boots, a tacky slogan tee shirt and a cardigan. In fact, three just walked past my house! This clone effect makes me want to parade around in clothes that are different to what the average English teenage girl is wearing - it feels good not to be the same as everyone else!

The reason I started this blog was to help me find my own personal style, as I was having difficulty finding what I felt comfortable in, what I felt was really me. And you can see that process in the few posts that I've made. Earlier ones are darker and more modern and hard - lots of leather! But more recent posts contain light, pastel coloured clothes. And I do think my style has become more girly, but I still lean towards darker colours in real life. I feel more comfortable in them, but at the same time, I don't feel like myself in the leather leggings and biker jackets I used to lust for.

I think that I have finally found me, and I would describe myself as a mix of old and new. Not just in the sense that I love the femenine elegance of days gone by and more modern tailoring equally, but in the sense that I am a mix of my current self and the person I aim to be in the future. I'm English, and time spent on rolling green hills and wild moors that evoke images of Cathy and Heathcliff has certainly left its mark on me. I think this 'old English whimsicality' (as I like to call it) is mixed with a smarter, more modern, more elegant quality that I think many Parisian women posess. It is no secret that I'm more than a little obsessed with Paris, and I cannot imagine myself living anywhere else, so that's the 'future me'.

That's my style, and it's something personal to me. Obviously it can change depending on how I feel on a certain day, but it expresses who I am and who I hope to be. I know that it's only fashion but I still can't understand how these clone girls can all dress the same and not feel that they're living a monotonous life that is reflected in their monotonous clothing choices!

Okay, rant over. Congrats if you actually read all of this!!

P.S. sorry for the completely sporadic posting - I've got exams in two weeks and GCSE modules in four weeks. STRESSING!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment